Grandparents mediation service
Have you been stopped from seeing your Grandchild/Grandchildren?
Need a way of resuming access.
Try mediation first
Mediation is an effective way to resolve most issues outside the court.
It comprises of a professional mediator as the third party and the two conflicting sides. Mediation is a voluntary service only takes place upon agreement of the two parties to go for mediation.
Some professional mediators have a legal background while others have family counselling background.
A professional mediator should avoid taking sides and being judgemental.
During the mediation, none of the two parties can impose anything on the other party since each party has equal rights to make decisions regarding the discussion. First, you need a MIAM
Mediation is confidential and whatever is discussed is not to be dismissed to anyone else or the court, except for the finalised and signed agreement of mediation.
Professional mediation service Horsham
In the current world grandparents play a crucial role in the lives of their grandchildren but at some point, this might not be the case as they can be denied access to visiting or being visited by grandchildren.
This is when mediation for grandparents come in as a result of their relationship with their grandchildren being barred by obstacles like family disagreements, separation of parents or even divorce.
In such a case the grandparents should consider going for mediation rather than the court to sue for their rights to grandchildren. At other times the court itself can advocate for professional mediation.
Mediation for grandparents comes in when the parents do not desire their children and the grandparents to have contact, mostly they do this by destroying the credibility of the grandparents to the public, court or a professional mediator.
According to how well they know their families both parties should go for a professional mediator who suits their family best.
The professional mediator helps both parties come to a consensus according to what is suitable and best for the child.
Mediation for grandparents should involve the children a little where they ask anything they want to know freely and be provided with minimal information of what is going on but not to details as this may be upsetting to them since they can’t comprehend.
The professional mediators are in charge of ensuring a safe environment for discussion and helping both parties to look forward to come up with workable solutions and not backwards to seek for faults.
If professional mediation fails to benefit the grandparents then they can proceed to the court to sue for the rights of their grandchildren because they should be present in the lives of their grandchildren.
Role of professional mediators
1. Create a safe and neutral environment for discussion
2. Guide both parties through the discussion of their issue
3. Address relating issues that may impact the major issue in conflict.
4. Help both conflicting parties to come to a consensus.
5. Facilitates communication of both parties during the discussion.
6. Ensures that both parties accord each other respect and are on topic.
7. Gives their clients information regarding other related resources that may be helpful.
Advantages of professional mediators.
1. They are cheaper than the court.
2. Whatever is agreed on by the parties is confidential unlike in courts where everything is public.
3. They act to resolve conflicts faster than the court proceedings which might take a lot of time to resolve an issue.
4. They are neutral hence the agreement is only made by the two parties with his help as the professional mediator.
1. Unlike in a court, in mediation, both parties can express their opinions and speak out their concerns.
2. If another issue arises, another mediation can be scheduled without affecting the prior agreement.
3. Both parties can check the credentials of the professional mediator unless specified by a section of dispute resolution.
4. It is a private process and the public is not made aware of the results as it is in the court proceedings.